Saturday, September 11, 2021
Tuesday, July 6, 2021
Hatch Outdoors releases the new Iconic Reel.
Hatch reels have always had an identifiable and classic look. They have been sought out since the company began, but their reels were due for a style upgrade. Hatch kept the window pattern with 6 fins on this new Iconic reel, but made several new updates.
The Iconic Reel features:
- A Machined Reel Seat: Hatch was the first and now one of the only reel manufacturers to make the reel body out of one piece. It is an expensive way to produce the reel but has the advantage of never having a reel seat loosen up due to galvanic corrosion. For the Iconic, they reshaped the reel seat for a more contemporary look.
- Improved Sealing: Through better design and concentricity, Hatch increased sealing by eliminating water entry points through subtracting superfluous components from past models.
- Improved Stability: The Iconic reel does not utilize a cassette to house the drag system like past models - instead, it is now built into the body. This decreased axial runout which creates a more stable and solid design.
- A New Drag Material: The new carbon-filled drag material dissipates heat faster and creates a smoother feel. This is their smoothest drag system to date.
- A New Spool Design: In many ways, the Iconic spool is similar to previous models, but with a few key differences. Hatch ported the spool arbor which will allow lines to dry better on the reel after use.
- A New Spool Nut: Hatch implemented a one piece design in order to prevent pieces from coming apart, which is a huge improvement.
- A New Handle/Counterweight: The new handle design significantly reduces the risk of galvanic corrosion and has a softer look and feel.
Thursday, January 14, 2021
Good news friends. As of Thursday, January 14th, all employees are out of quarantine and cleared for work! We are getting back after it and could not be more excited. Here are just a few notes about our return:
1. The online store did OPEN last night at 6:00 p.m. and we are processing and shipping orders as normal today.
2. The store was "Sani-Steamed" on Monday and is as clean as it's ever been!!!
3. All employees are healthy, safe and back to work!
4. The retail store will OPEN to the public on Saturday, January 16th from 10 a.m.- 5 p.m.
5. We will resume normal business hours next week
We would all like to THANK YOU for the amazing outpouring of support during this challenging time. It was no small decision to shut the operation down but we feel we did the right thing for our staff and customers. We really appreciate your support and friendship.
As Brian says here: "Stay tuned....2021 is going to be a GREAT year!"
The Staff of Mad River Outfitters
Brian, Patrick, Andy, Linda, Justin, Ryan, Katie, Paul, Joe, Cristina, Roger, Judy, Josh, Bella and Rogue
Monday, January 4, 2021
Tuesday, December 1, 2020
In the Spring of 1990, Mad River Outfitters founder and owner Brian Flechsig ran his first guide trip on our home waters of the Mad River, here in Ohio. It was later that year, that he hosted his first Trip to the Pere Marquette River in Michigan.
Fast forward to the Fall of 1994. He quit his job as the manager of a fly shop in Cincinnati, Ohio on September 1st. Moved to Columbus on November 1st and first opened the doors of Mad River Outfitters on December 1st.
He tells the story often of how he and his Dad pretty much built the first store themselves.
4 storefronts and 26 years later, here we are. One of the largest fly shops and outfitters in the United States....and still going strong. Actually, according to Brian, we are just "Getting Started".
Hopefully one day we can get Brian to tell us the whole story. We'd love to share it and would certainly be an interesting one.
To Brian, his family and the entire team at Mad River Outfitters.....
HAPPY 26th ANNIVERSARY MRO.....here's to many more!
Thursday, October 8, 2020
TFO LK Legacy Fly Rods
From a delicate 3-weight to the very popular 8-weight, 11 models allow the LK Legacy series to perfectly match a broad range of conditions, techniques, and species. All models feature alignment dots color coded by line weight and LK Legacy rods come packaged in a labeled rod sock and a TFO rod tube.
TFO LK Legacy Two Handed Fly Rods
The LK Legacy TH series was designed by Temple Fork Outfitters for intermediate to advanced anglers seeking faster blanks that deliver more efficient line movement and more recovery crispness. These rods can pick up longer, heavier fly lines and tips with minimal effort and a unique touch-and-go feel. The five rod LK Legacy TH series features the 6-weight for trout spey or overhead casting off the beach and longer 8-weight rods for steelhead and salmon.
The LK Legacy TH series is constructed with high modulus carbon fiber material and finished in a matte grey color tipped with hunter green thread wraps. Componentry includes up-locking, anodized cut-out reel seats with braided carbon fiber inserts. All rods feature black frame stainless steel stripping guides
and anodized, double-foot, stainless steel snake guides. LK Legacy TH rods are finished with a thinly tapered, composite cork handle for more ergonomic handling and durability in the foulest fishing conditions. All models feature both grain window and gram weighting for easy line pairings, as well as alignment dots color coded by line weight. LK Legacy TH rods are packaged in a labeled rod sock and a TFO rod tube.
The LK Legacy
TH series is uncompromising in performance and quality when compared to
any other rod on the market. Add TFO’s no-fault lifetime warranty
against defects and they are clearly a benchmark by which to judge all
advanced two-handed rods regardless of price.
TFO Stealth Fly Rods
The Stealth series was designed by TFO National Advisor Jason Randall specifically for European, high-stick and tight-line nymphing techniques that require drag-free drifts and ultra-sensitive strike detection. This rod series is engineered to powerfully deliver accurate multi-fly presentations yet to be extremely light and perfectly balanced as necessary for comfortable fishing and extreme sensitivity. Every decision in the creation of these rods has been driven by the goal of maximizing direct-contact fishing performance and, as a result, there is no better set of tools than the Stealth series if that is your focus.
The Stealth series is constructed with high modulus carbon fiber material and is finished in a matte green color. Two models are available – a 10’ 2-weight weighing an incredibly lite 2.8oz and a slightly longer 10’6” 3-weight offering slightly more reach and weighing 3.0oz. The series has down-locking machined aluminum reel seats and feature black single-foot stripping guides for weight savings and black single-foot snake guides. The Stealth series comes in a cloth rod sock and a TFO rod tube.
The Stealth series was designed with singular goal of creating the most direct connection possible between fish and angler. Then we covered each one with TFO’s no-fault lifetime warranty against defects, making them perfect for the angler dedicated to the art of direct contact fishing.
Thursday, September 10, 2020
Josh McQueen recently took on the new role at Ohio Fly Fishing Guides as head guide. So we sat down with him and asked him a few important questions.
You’ve taken on the role as head guide for Mad River Outfitters Ohio Fly Fishing Guides, what’s your goal for the guide services?
So, what’s your top fish to fly fish for and why?
What should people know about Pike in Ohio and Protecting them?
Your top three pieces of fly fishing paraphernalia that you can't go without?
Watch our recent fishing trip with Josh here: